2.4 Lakh New Covid Cases In India, Over 77 Lakh Cases This Month: 10 Highlights
With 2,40,842 new Covid cases, India’s overall case count rushed to 2,65,30,132 this morning. The country’s total Covid death count is nearing the 3 lakh-mark; 3,741 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
Here is ten important highlights of our Country:
1.India has Reported 77.67 lakh fresh cases in May as compared to 66.13 lakh cases in April and 10.25 lakh cases in March. More than 90 thousand deaths have been recorded this month; over 45,000 deaths were reported in April. While in March, 5,417 deaths were reported; 2,777 deaths were recorded in February and 5,536 in January.
2. Black Fungus or Mucormycosis in Covid patients has urged as a big concern in India’s fight against coronavirus. Nearly 9,000 patients have been affected so far, the centre has said, underlining that it’s trying to ramp up production of medicine required.
3. Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka have extended lockdown to check the spread of Covid. Many states are under tough restrictions to break the chain of Tranference.
4. Karnataka recorded 31,183 new cases as compared to 32,218 on Saturday, Kerala recorded 28,514 new cases as compared to 29,673 cases the previous day, Tamil Nadu reported 35,873 fresh cases (36,184 cases were recorded on Saturday) and Andhra Pradesh logged 19,981 new cases (20,937 infections logged on Saturday).
5. The government on Saturday evening said that the country has been witnessing a drop in positivity rate for the last two weeks. 18 states presently have a positivity rate of more than 15 per cent. Fourteen states have a positivity rate between 5-15 per cent; four states have a positivity rate less than 5 per cent.
6. Eight states in the country have more than 1 lakh active cases, the Health Ministry said last evening. While 20 states have less than 50,000 active cases.
7. While Maharashtra, the state with highest overall caseload is way to recovery, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu have been witnessing a worrying surge in cases.
8. As many states look for ways to pace up vaccination drive, the government on Saturday said nearly 2.67 Lakh doses, in addition, will be received by the states and union territories in the next three days. “So far, 21 crore doses have been provided free of cost to states and union territories,” the Health Ministry said.
9. Mumbai’s vaccination centres will remain shut today. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday said that the national capital has paused roll out for 18-44 age group due to shortage of doses.
10. Vaccine wastage of Serum Institute of India’s Covishield has come down from 8 per cent to 1 per cent and Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin has come down from 17 per cent to 4 per cent, the Health Ministry has said.